Configure 3d printers
3D printers often have very long running tasks and usually don’t require constant attention – unlike laser cutters or CNC routers.
Therefore it’s often advisable to configure them differently that most other equipment:
- Disable "Prevent unattended operation" to allow members to leave the printer running while being away.
- If you have set up a "busy / idle" input for the printer:
- Enable "Turn off unused equipment" to save power and show the printer as "avaliable" once a print job is done.
- You might also want to enable "Prevent power-off while the equipment is busy" to prevent members from accidentally switching of the printer while a job is running. This might get cold filament stuck in the print nozzle.
If you don’t allow your members 24/7 access to your space, you might want to add an extra permission to their package to allow long-running jobs to finish outside opening hours:
- Click on "Configuration" and then "Packages" on the main navigation bar.
- Click on your non-24/7 package.
- Scroll down and click on "Add another rule".
- Select "every 3d printer" from the drop-down and leave the time set to "Always 24/7".
- Save your changes.
- Repeat these steps for every package that allows members to use 3d printers.